Friday, October 24, 2008

Roseola? What's that?

So last week was a little interesting for us with Juliana. I learned one thing that is more stressful than your child being sick is your child being sick and not knowing what is wrong. Juliana had a fever randomly pick up one in the morning. She was extra sleepy but had no other symptoms. Her fever would stay pretty low but get fairly high in the evening - higher than what I would concider a possible teething fever. This went on for three days. Each day was a debate.. do I take her in? What would they be able to tell me? (I don't really like the pediatricians here.) The third night we gave her fever medicine to help her sleep for the second time. The forth morning her fever broke. Yay! Then an hour or so later a rash started to develope. Oh man, a rash? What is goin' on now? I let her try bread for the first time, maybe.. no, probably not. The bug bite she just got.. no, not likely. The fever medicine, shoot, an allergic reaction? Who knows? Again, the debate on wether or not to take her in. Day five the rash was looking a little better. That is when these pictures were taken. The rash looked a lot worse in person. Later I was IMing with Shaunna, whining about my worries. Ta, da! Shaunna solved my worries. Could it be Roseola? she says. Roseola? What's that? I love our age of the internet. The things I read sounded exactly like Juliana's symptoms. A basically harmless viral infection that will pass. Hooray! Now, do I like being a self diagnosis Mom? No, not really. I plan on talking to our pediatrician about it when we are at home in December. Jul's is doing great now and is back to her normal playful, crawling and getting into everything. And it only took me three days to get caught up on the house after pampering my baby for five days and not getting much else done.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that Julianna is feeling better. She is so cute and smiley it just breaks my heart thinking of her not feeling well. I had fun yesterday and glad that we got the chance to get together. My aunt bites were itchey the first night but I just took some benadryl and it knocked me out so I didn't notice them. They are fine now. Thanks for the offer thoough. See ya tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you and she are doing better. It is SUCH a scary feeling to know something is wrong but not know what. My feelings are always in conflict in those kinds of situations: most likely, it's something harmless that will pass, but there is a chance that it is something that needs early diagnosis and treatment, and a small chance that it's life threatening! And of course my mind runs through every worse-case-scenario I can think of! Glad Mom was able to help you--it's amazing what comes up when you start talking around. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete