Here is a story, Shalynna style...
Yesterday, as a release from studying, Robert watched some of a Harry Potter movie.
Katie:"Robert, it is too much for Calli - you are going to scare her. She covers her eyes when she sees the wolf for 'W' on her preschool website."
Robert:"No, No, she is fine. These aren't even scary parts."
Katie: "If she wakes up with a nightmare it is your fault and you have to be up with her."
Robert: "She isn't going to have a night mare."
12:55 am - I am sleeping deeply trying to recover from going to bed later than I wanted to and already having to wake up once and take care of Juliana.
12:56 am - My heart skips about three beats and then races about 100 times faster than is normal for a mother's heart as I wake up to Calli screaming. It was one of those sincere whimpery high pitched screams that takes two years off of a your heart. I jump up and try to say some calming words as I walk across the hall toward her.
Katie: "Calli, what is wrong?? Are you okay??"
Calli (in a very fearful crying voice): " There is a dinosaur!"
Katie: "Oh, sweetheart it is okay. Look around, there is no dinosaur. You're okay... here come cuddle in mommy and daddy's bed for a bit."
Katie (as I walked in to our bedroom, my heart beginning to slow down a bit): "Robert, I could smack you for letter her watch Harry Potter!"
Robert: "What?? Dinosaurs don't have anything to do with Harry Potter! It isn't my fault."
Of course all the commotion woke up Juliana and I spent 10 minutes getting her back to sleep and then slept crooked in my bed sharing my spot with Calli. I can't remember the last time Calli had a night mare. Coincidence she had one the same night she watched part of Harry Potter??
.. I don't think so.
(Yes, Robert watched the girls in the morning so I could sleep in an extra hour.)
Lol! Thanks for the glimpse into your family life--it was fun. For the record, Ken is on Robert's side ("A dinosaur nightmare from Harry Potter? Not a chance! She probably read a dinosaur book or something...") and I'm on your side ("Kids, especially little kids, process information differently than we do. I say, fear is fear, and dreams are our brains way of processing the information we take in during a day. If I'm worried about something I don't always dream about it specifically--sometimes it translates into other, seemingly random dreams, based on the same emotions")
ReplyDeleteHA! I read this to Christian and he said, "sounds like Robert." Imitating Robert: "Oh no it'll be fine!" I bet that makes for some fun stories from high school!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I love it! I love it even more since I got a shout out. I didn't get around to editing and posting the branch blog in case you are wondering. I'll talk with you soon! I hope the shower went well.
ReplyDeleteHey, its nice to catch up! I love that about blogging! Your little girl has amazing blonde hair, but I guess you kind of had to expect that with you guys as parents. Man, your life is so opposite of ours with the warm weather and beaches! Oh man, I'm jealous.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you two had a blog! I'm so excited that I found it! Your girls are so adorable. If only dads would understand that moms are almost always right about their kids. Somehow mom is the only one that can fix a nightmare in my house.
ReplyDelete