Sunday, November 16, 2008

Trauma! You are never going to believe this...

So let me set the stage by telling you first that we have had virtually no problem with bugs here. We've seen only one or two cockroaches over the last year and rarely do we have ants. The most we get are the occasional gecko, lizard or frog but they're friendly. Anyway, last night I lived a moment from a cheap horror flick... I'm sleeping soundly getting some much needed rest after a full day. In my sleep I kind of feel something on my stomache and pull my hand up to brush the area thinking it is probably my shirt moving with the wind from the fan. Immediately I get a sharp pain in my hand! I sit up wildly to shake off my intruder. Rob wakes up asking what is wrong. "Something bit me! Something bit me!" I'm closer to the light switch so I get up and turn on the light. I sit back on the bed looking around for whatever it was. Then I feel something on my back! I look over my shoulder and see some black thing. I jump up and smack it off. I turn around and Rob and I see a scorpion on the floor! AAAAHHHHH!!! Bluagh! A SCORPION! How insane is that!!! So I'm really freaking out now because I know I just got stung by a scorpion! How in the world?? Where did it come from? How did it even get in the house? Why? What do I do? What do I do? Ice.. ice sounds good... I'll get ice. I left Rob to kill the invader in the bedroom and I got a package of frozen corn for my hand. I go sit down on the couch and try to calm down. We called the hospital to see if there is something we should do. I don't feel poisoned (although I don't know what that would feel like) so I think I'm okay but I want to know. The nurse said that the scorpions here are not poisonous or venomous so I don't need to worry about that but just watch for an allergic reaction. I could take benadryl and tylenol for the pain - pain relief sounds good! I iced my hand for like an hour. Rob took some picks of the dead scorpion and got rid of it. Then my sweet hubby stayed up with me the whole time I wanted to ice it and more until I felt better. It took me a while to even want to go back in the bedroom! After a nice and emotionally needed blessing from Rob, we decided to go back to sleep on the big bed in the girl's room but it still took me like an hour to actually fall asleep and I definitely wanted the night light ON! Talk about the heebyjeebies! A bit after the whole event I start to feel tingly all over which kind of weirds me out too but I've come to decide it is the trauma from the whole thing. I still feel tingly and it is the next day. My hand still hurts but luckily there really isn't any swelling and I am able to use it pretty well. So, I get to live the rest of my life saying I've been stung by a scorpion. Man... I hope I can sleep in my bed tonight. I am still very glad it was me and not one of the girls or something but it was so random that I'll always be leery of it happening again to one of us. I'm getting the shivers just looking at these pictures to post.

5 comments:

  1. That is so my worst nightmare! How scary. Good thing Rob was there to kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary! I am so sorry that happened to you- but now you are one strong woman. You can survive any bug bite now. The tingling thing is normal- from what I've heard through my dad, grandpa, and other people that have been stung. Don't ever move to AZ if you don't like scorpions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that we weren't there because Christian would have wanted to keep it for a pet. He has been begging for one since we have been married...six years soon and he still doesn't have one for a reason! You are better than I am, I would be insisting on moving and getting out of that house! Oh well, if it doesn't kill you...right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Katie. Austin told me you got stung, but your story was so much better than when he told me. What creeps me out is that it was in your bed! Yikes!! I am glad that you are okay.

    ReplyDelete